Welcome to the Potato Research home page. From this page you can access all of the potato related information put out by the Vegetable Program at the University of Saskatchewan.
Potato variety trials are conducted annually by the Vegetable Program to supply Saskatchewan’s potato growers with information on cultivar performance under local growing conditions. Standard potato varieties and recently introduced varieties are evaluated.
As well as conducting annual Potato Variety Trials, the Vegetable Program researches the agronomy, fertility, and pest and disease management practices of potatoes, aimed at improving potato production for prairie producers.
The latest potato variety trials and research is available online in the Vegetable Cultivar and Cultural Trials.
Potato Related Presentations
Grower and industry education is an important component of the Vegetable Program. Dr. Doug Waterer has put together a variety of presentations for conferences and various grower groups around the province of Saskatchewan.
For more presentations visit the Presentations Page.
- Potato Production in Saskatchewan (SHOW – 6.3 MB)
- Potatoes in Saskatchewan. Past, Present, and the Future (SHOW – 3.3 MB)
- Saskatchewan Seed Potatoes (PPT – 0.9 MB)
- The advantages of seed production in Saskatchewan are discussed. Research initiatives, Northern Vigor, and the Saskatchewan Seed Potato Growers Association (SSPGA) are covered.
- Improving Seed Potato Performance (SHOW – 2.8 MB)
- Maximizing seed performance is discussed in this presentation. Soil and seed preparation, seed failure, and stand problems are covered.
- Disease Management Products for Potato Storage (PPT – 1.4 MB)
- Managing Potatoes Under High Temperature Conditions (SHOW – 3.2 MB)
- Black Dot – Some Questions and Answers (PPT – 16.0 MB)
- Potatoes in a Changing Climate (PPT – 16.0 MB)
- Weeds and Weed Control in Potatoes (PPT – 15.7 MB)
- Potato Late Blight in 2011 (PPT – 4.0 MB)