The short, cool growing season makes tomato production on the Prairies challenging. Transplants are a must, however tomatoes do not appear to benefit from plastic mulches or crop covers. Blossom end rot is a common problem and is considered in the cultivar recommendations.
- Bella Rosa – (SAK)- Early, with good yields of small sweet fruit
- Cabot - (TER) – Good yields of relatively small fruit. Sweet but lacking in acidity.
- Defiant – (J, VE, ST) – Early with god yield potential small uniform fruit. Late blight resistant
- Duchess - (KY, VE) – Large numbers of small round fruit. Acceptable taste.
- Early Girl - (WCS) – Very Early Good yield. High % red.
- Manitoba – (EFG) -Early with good yields. Fruit are small with firm skin but taste good.
- Oregon Spring – (J, TER) – Very early. with good yield potential. Small uniform fruit. Late blight resistant
- Scotia – (VE) – Early with good yields. Small , juicy fruit with some shoulder cracking
- Starfire (TER)
- Tribute – (SAK) – Early with very good yields of nice tasting but acidic fruit
Mild – season
- Booty – (REI, NE) – High % red fruit and above average yields. Nice looking but some bacterial speck.
- Celebrity - (EFG, LIN) – good consistent yields of attractive fruit with acceptable flavor.
- Matina Organic – (WDM)
- Sunchief – (SEM, WG)
- Sunrise – (ST) – excellent yields of uniform, medium-sized fruit.
- Sunstart – (ST, SEM) – exceptional yields of large high quality fruit
- Swift – (TER)
- Taxi – (J)-yellow
- BHN 961 (HSC) Late. Very high of large fruit with high brix.
- Lemon Boy – (ST) -yellow
- Super Fantastic - (WCS) – excellent yields of large, flavorful, juicy fruit.
- Black Prince (J) – late maturing, but produces tasty, medium size dark red/orange fruit.
- Black Russian (TER)
- Early Annie (TF)
- Fireworks (TF)
- Harbinger (HHS)
- Mini Orange (HHS, REI)
- Orange King (BG) – late maturing, but consistently produces good yields of attractive and flavorful orange fruit.
- Oxheart (TER) – very late maturing, with only moderate yields but has exceptional flavor.
- Red Currant (TER)
- Sasha Altai (TF)
- Siberian Red (TF)
- Silvery Fir (HHS, TS, TF)
- Yellow Currant (TER)
- Yellow Plum (NOR)
Visit the 2007 Vegetable Cultivar and Cultural Trials for the most current heirloom tomato recommendations.