If provided with adequate protection from weeds, a good crop of high quality red and yellow onions can be grown from seed in most years in Saskatchewan. The intended storage period will influence the cultivar selected. Transplants or sets are recommended for the longer season, Spanish-style onions.
- Anillo (NH)
- Braddock (SW)
- Copra (EFG, WCS, TS) – A main season cultivar with good yields and excellent storage quality. Some variability in shape.
- Crockett (BJ)
- Cortland (VE, J, HMO, TS)
- Festival (BJ, SW)
- Frontier (ST, NOR, T) – Early maturing with good yields and storage quality
- Nebula (EFG) – Excellent mid-season yields and a uniform, medium size.
- OLYX08-640 (CK) – Excellent yields of large bulbs, very low % cull
- Safrane (BJ, NOR)
- Sedona (NOR, BJ) – Superior yields of large bulbs. Few culls
- Sherman (BJ, NOR)
- Sturon Organic (WDM)
- Tamara (BJ)
- Talon (BJ, SW, VE, NOR, DOM)
- Timberline (T, SW)
- Mercury (ST, SIE)
- Red Beauty (VE)
- Red Bull F1 (BJ, J, HMO) – early maturing, good yield and skin set.
- Red Hawk (J) – Early maturing. Exceptional yields
- Red Wing (WDM, J) – Exceptional yields
- Delgado (NOR, SW)
- Exhibition (OT, SW)
- Kelsae Giant (EFG, NOR) – very uniform, exceptionally large and high yielding with limited storage potential.
- Riverside Sweet Spanish (ST) – early maturing, medium large, very uniform with high yields and good storage potential.
- Vision (ST)
Visit the 2009 Vegetable Cultivar and Cultural Trials for the most current spanish onion trials.
- Evergreen (BUR, HMO, J)
- Evergreen Long White Nebuka (WDM) – Excellent stand, yields and quality
- Fuagawa (OS)
- Ishikura Improved (T, ST) – excellent yields of tender but pungent stems with white shanks.
- Kincho (WCS) – excellent yields with a mild flavor.
- Long White (SW, HS) – Excellent stand, yields and quality
- Parade (WDM, WCS) – Excellent stand, yields and quality
- Tokyo Long White (ST, VE)