Excellent yields of high quality of bibb and romaine style lettuce can be consistently achieved in Saskatchewan. By contrast, head lettuce consistently experiences problems with aphid damage, tip-burn and sclerotinia head rot.
- Bennett (OS) – good stand and yields, crunchy, sweet.
- Esmeralda (REI) – excellent yields and quality producing very uniform and attractive heads with good flavor.
- Harmony (SIE) – excellent yields and quality producing very uniform and attractive heads with good flavor.
- Pybas Red Butter (PY) – excellent yields and quality producing very uniform and attractive heads with good flavor.
- Arroyo (NOR) – Classic head, compact and upright
- Beretta (SSC)
- Breen (J) – Slow to germinate. Mini head, compact, purple/green leaves. Good flavor
- Conquistador (SEM)
- Darlene (SBD, OSC) – Good stand and yield. Open uniform heads. Good flavor
- Early’s Romaine (EFG) – Excellent market % and very large heads
- Green Forest (J, VE) – produces excellent yields with exceptional head quality and flavor
- Green Towers (SW, NOR, ST) – Upright large heads
- Jericho (J)
- Little Gem (WCS, BCH, WG)
- Little Gem Pearl (VE)
- Olga (TS)
- Parris Island Cos (VE, SW, WDM, HS) – excellent yields over a long harvest period. Some tendency to bolt and sensitivity to tip-burn.
- P.I.C. Select M.I. (NOR)
- Romulus (T+T)
- Valley Heart (NOR) – Good yields of upright heads
- Valmaine (TS)
- Vivian (SBD) – Good yields of classic upright, wide heads. Good flavor
- Great Lakes (T+M) – large heads with good flavor. Appears sensitive to tip burn and bolting.
- Great Lakes 118 (REI) – Medium dense to dense heads
- Great Lakes 659 (WDM) – Medium dense heads. Some tip burn
- NIZ 44-4402 (EFG) – Good yields of medium dense to dense heads
- Pacesetter (EFG) – Good yields of medium dense heads. Slow germination
- Prestige (NOR) – Good yields of medium dense to dense heads
- Templin (OT) – Good yields of dense heads. High % marketable
- Amish Deer Tongue (WCS)
- Green Bay MI PLT (ST)
- Marin (ORS) – exceptional yields and appearance, but flavor can be variable
- Pacifica (ORS) – good yields, appearance and flavor
- Prizehead (EFG)
- Salad Bowl (EFG) – exceptional vigor and yields with good flavor
- Two Star (SW)
Visit the 2008 Vegetable Cultivar and Cultural Trials for the most current Leaf lettuce recommendations.