The optimum cultivar choice for sweet corn in Saskatchewan varies from year to year depending on growing conditions.
The standard types mature on average 5 days earlier than the sugar enhanced types but the flavor and storage potential of the standard sugar types of corn is inferior to the sugar enhanced types.
The supersweet types mature on average 3 days later than the sugar enhanced types but their flavor and storage potential is superior to the other types of corn.
- Earlivee (RUPP, TS, WCS) – is an exceptionally early, dependable cultivar. It produces reasonable yields with good flavor but cob size is small and tip fill is variable.
- Early Sunglow (EH, RUPP)
Visit the 2005 Vegetable Cultivar and Cultural Trials for the most current standard corn trial.
Sugar Enhanced type
- Bon Jour (MM, DOM, ST)
- Colorow (ST, EFG) – Early. Good yields of wide cobs. Good tip fill. Husked easily
- Edelweiss (ST, MM) – a good yielding white, juicy and sweet.
- Envoy (MM) – an early maturing bi-colour with good flavor and cob quality.
- Fleet (EFG, T+T)
- Fastlane (MM, RUPP, ST)
- Kandy King (WCS) – Good yields. Exceptional flavor
- Luscious (VE, DOM)
- Navajo (ST)
- Sweet Chorus (HA)
- Profit (RUPP, DOM)
- Stellar (ST, SW)
- Monomoy (MM, HSC)
- Polka (VE) – good yield and flavor, with decent tip fill.
- Primus (RUPP, ST)
- Powwow (MM, HA)
- Revelation (HM, HA) – this mid-season cultivar is recommended for its excellent yields, flavor and appearance.
- Sweet Symphony (HM)
- Candy Corner (HM) – high yielding bi-colour with excellent flavour and quality
- Confection (HM) – a later maturing type with good yields, large cobs and excellent flavor.
- Gourmet Sweet 2171 (ST)
- GSS 0966 (SIE, RUPP, SW)
- Mirai 421 (RUPP, PARK) – this later season bi-colour has excellent eye appeal and eating quality
- Mirai MX 148Y (PARK)
- Northern Xtra Sweet (EFG, T+T, HA) – one of the earliest supersweet types. It also produces very large cobs with large kernels. Flavor is only average.
- Passion (VE, SEM)
- Sheba (OS, WG)
- Awesome (SW, ST)
- Fantastic (SW, ST) – a bit later, but excellent yields and quality
- Mirai 002 (SIE)
- Mirai 130Y (RUPP, HA)
- Mirai 308BC (RUPP, HA)
- Mirai 301BC (RUPP, DOM)
- Xtra-Tender 2171 (SIE, RUPP, SW)
Visit the 2007 Vegetable Cultivar and Cultural Trials for the most current ornamental corn trials.