Beets are well suited for Saskatchewan and can be grown from seed throughout the growing season.
- Alto (T+M) – Good yields of cylindrical roots.
- Cylindra (OSC, WDM, J) – Long cylindrical roots prone to bending. Uniform interior color. Bland, bitter flavor.
- Detroit Supreme (ST, WDM) – Produces exceptionally high yields of roots with a light exterior but excellent dark interior color. Root shape and size can be variable.
- Formanova (ABN) – Produces a good stand and sizes early. Cylindrical roots are uniform in shape and deep red.
- Merlin (VE, ST) – Exellent stand and yields. Nice sweet flavor.
- Moneta (J, VE) – Good yields from H1 onwards. Goods sweet flavour.
- Pablo (VE, T+M) – Is early with good yields and quality.
- Red Cloud (NOR) – Exellent stand and yields of round, attractive roots. Nice sweets flavor.
Visit the 2009 Vegetable Cultivar and Cultural Trials for the most current beet trials.