Basil must be grown from transplants and requires cool temperatures to induce bolting in basil plants. Basil requires warm, sunny weather for optimum growth.
- Blue Spice (BCH) – produces exceptional leaf yields with a minty aroma but tends to bolt early
- Lemon Basil (ST, RICH) – produces vigorous plants with a very pleasant citrus aroma
- Green Ruffles (BP) – green ruffled leaves have an excellent ornamental value
- Cinnamon (ST, RICH) – flowers are significant and attractive, foliage has strong basil aroma with a hint of cinnamon
- Spicy Globe (ST, RICH) – very attractive variety covered in blooms, excellent ornamental value, strong basil flavour with a hint of lemon
- Sweet Thai (J) – mild basil flavour with excellent aroma and ornamental value
Visit the 2008 Vegetable Cultivar and Cultural Trials for the most current basil trials.